"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, June 09, 2018

Today's Must-Read: "You Watch My Back, I Watch Yours"

Tom Sullivan has a piece at Hullabaloo this morning that echoes something I've been saying for a long time: Our morality, in spite of what you hear from the money-grubbing Bible-thumpers, is based on one simple tenet: we take care of each other.

Sullivan starts off with a longish Twitter thread, but here's the gist:

Markos wrote this in 2006:
There's a reason most vets running for office this year are running as Democrats. The military is perhaps the ideal society -- we worked hard but the Army took care of us in return. All our basic needs were met -- housing, food, and medical care. It was as close to a color-blind society as I have ever seen. We looked out for one another. The Army invested in us. I took heavily subsidized college courses and learned to speak German on the Army's dime. I served with people from every corner of the country. I got to party at the Berlin Wall after it fell and explored Prague in those heady post-communism days. I wasn't just a tourist; I was a witness to history.

The Army taught me the very values that make us progressives -- community, opportunity, and investment in people and the future.

His basic examples are drawn from the military, but his thrust is to translate those values -- more than "American" values, they are human values -- into civilian life -- life as most of us know it.

Read it.

No comments: