"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, February 26, 2019

Tweet du Jour



I remember reading the Court's majority opinion in Citizens United. As I recall, the "reasoning", if you want to call it that, was so tortured as to be embarrassing. If you want to wade through it, the decision is here. There's also a good, if somewhat dense, discussion at Wikipedia.

To say that this was one of the most controversial decisions in recent history is putting it mildly. It was also one of the most unpopular. (It's worth noting that a Google search for "Citizens United decision" turns up lots and lots of commentary, but I had to refine my search to "Citizens United decision text" to get the actual decision.)

At any rate, it's nice to know that someone is working on overturning one of the most damaging Supreme Court decisions ever. And it's sobering to realized that we can expect much worse now that the Republicans have managed to stack the Court with a "conservative" majority.

Thanks to commenter Max_1 at Joe.My.God.


No comments: