"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, September 28, 2019

Today iIn Bald-Faced Liars

And of course, it's an evangelical preacher -- none other than Robert Jeffress:

There is no such thing as a separation of church and state in the Constitution. We have allowed the secularists, the atheists, the humanists to hijack our Constitution and pervert it into something our forefathers never intended.

And I’m gonna say this. I’m gonna say this, and it may cost me some book sales, but I’m gonna say it anyway. Thank God we have a president like Donald J. Trump who understands that. I don’t like seeing my friend under attack like he is under right now, but I don’t like the prospect of what’s going to happen in America if we allow the left to seize control of this country again.

And I believe one of the great ironies of history is gonna be this: When the historians look back, they are gonna say with great surprise, that it was a secular, billionaire real estate tycoon from New York City who became the most pro-life, pro-religious liberty, and pro-Israel president in history.

I have a couple of quotes for Mr. Jeffress. The first is from Amendment I to the Constitution of the United States of America, which begins:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof. . . .

The second is from Thomas Jefferson's letter to the Danbury Baptists:

. . . I contemplate with sovereign reverence that act of the whole American people which declared that their legislature should "make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof," thus building a wall of separation between Church & State.

Now, you may recall that Jefferson, aside from being the third president of the United States, had also served in several capacities in previous administrations, including vice president and secretary of state. He was also, while American envoy to France, in close touch with the framers of the Constitution, so I suspect he had a fairly good idea of what it meant. (And no, as long as we're on the subject, America was quite deliberately not founded as a "Christian nation.")

As for the rest of the drivel -- well, can you say "sycophant"?

There's video at the link, if you can stand it.



No comments: