"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, October 02, 2019

I Just Can't

I've had Trump up to the gills and beyond over the past two years, and this morning it's just worse. He's ignorant, he's a bully, he's toxically self-centered, and he's lacking any sort of common decency.

If you think I'm exaggerating, check out Digby's Hullabaloo this morning. Pick any post. It's all there -- Ukraine, closing the border, threats of civil war (and he's not talking figuratively), the whole sorry mess.

The weather's lousy, so I think I'll go visit one of the museums.

Add Pompeo to the list of villains:

Secretary Pompeo appears to be scheduled to have a very, very bad Wednesday, Earlier today he released a letter he sent to Congressman Engel, the chair of the House Foreign Affairs Committee, where he made it very clear that the State Department was not going to comply with his and Congressman Schiff’s requests for information regarding the mess that President, his senior staff and appointees, and his private attorneys have made around Ukraine and the mishandling of US government information by misclassification.

I’m concerned with aspects of the Committee’s request that can be understood only as an attempt to intimidate, bully, & treat improperly the distinguished professionals of the Department of State, including several career FSOs.

Coming from one of Trump's minions, accusations of bullying are somewhat more than ironic.

But it seems that it's not going to go Pompeo's way:

Just as Pompeo warns Dems he won't comply with their requests, the quasi-independent State Department inspector general tells Capitol Hill he'd like to meet tomorrow to "provide staff with copies of documents related to the State Department and Ukraine."

I'm sure there's more melodrama to come.

No comments: