"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, November 15, 2019

Religious Freedom!!1!

This is about the most bone-headed thing I've seen coming from the "religious" right:

Ohio lawmakers are weighing in on how public schools can teach things like evolution.

The Ohio House on Wednesday passed the "Student Religious Liberties Act." Under the law, students can't be penalized if their work is scientifically wrong as long as the reasoning is because of their religious beliefs.

Instead, students are graded on substance and relevance.

Every Republican in the House supported the bill. It now moves to the Republican-controlled Senate.

OK -- it's a given that Republicans, especially the evangelical variety, don't like education anyway, especially science -- which relies more than most fields on critical thinking and evidence -- but to adopt something like this is far out, even for them.

I wonder who will have standing to sue.

There's more detail here.

Via Joe.My.God., who notes that the bill's sponsor, Rep. Tim Ginter, "is primarily known for anti-abortion stunts such as reading bible verses aloud and demanding that they be made into law."

Can you say "anti-American"?

No comments: