"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, November 22, 2019

Today in Disgusting People (Update)

Tony Perkins has been on a roll lately. This hit the news last evening (hide your irony meter):

Father, most Americans have little understanding about euphemistic titles like “Equal Rights Amendment” or “Equality Act.” Protect the American people from deliberately ambiguous and contradictory use of words to mislead and manipulate voters, common in politics today.

That's called "projection". It gets worse:

Protect us from tragically misguided efforts to redefine sacred words like “man,” “woman,” “family,” “marriage,” etc., in an effort to overthrow your created order. May your people arise to teach the nations everything you have commanded us. Restore your moral order to our backslidden nation.

This, from a man who thinks that "morality" is composed of arbitrary rules cherry-picked from the tribal taboos of Bronze Age nomads. (And I'll bet you didn't know that "etc." was a "sacred word".)

And this is also from yesterday:

If the last 24 hours have proven anything about Chick-fil-A, it’s this: It was never about the chicken. For millions of Americans, there was a much deeper significance behind every decision to pull in the parking lot and walk through those doors. It wasn’t about the menu. It wasn’t even about the service.

It was that every time someone ate there, they were making a cultural statement. Chick-fil-A was a business, yes. But it was also a giant rebuttal of everything the bullies stood for. Until it wasn’t.

Maybe that’s why people are in such denial. They don’t want to believe that the place where they felt at home, the place they’d put on a pedestal and invested so much personal capital, betrayed them.

This, of course, follows on Chik-fil-A's statement that they would no longer donate to anti-gay hate groups. (Which, as it turns out, was so much BS.)

So, eating a fried chicken sandwich is now a cultural statement, proving that you're a godly person, or something. Who knew? And of course, when hate groups boycott entities such as Target for their inclusive policies, that's doing god's work. (That, by the way, was a big nothingburger -- yes, Target's stock fell, but it was because of Amazon, not the American Family Association.)

I seem to remember reading about Jesus preaching love, acceptance, compassion, kindness, generosity -- or did I misunderstand?

Update: Another bigot weighs in on Chik-fil-A:



Hemant Mehta notes:

Huckabee is lashing out at the company for focusing on — I repeat — education, homelessness, and hunger. He’s angry that they’re helping the poor instead of sticking it to LGBTQ people.

Huckabee might do well to remember the words of Christ, as related in Matthew 25:41-46:

41 Then he will say also to those on the left hand, ‘Depart from me, you cursed, into the eternal fire which is prepared for the devil and his angels; 42 for I was hungry, and you didn’t give me food to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave me no drink; 43 I was a stranger, and you didn’t take me in; naked, and you didn’t clothe me; sick, and in prison, and you didn’t visit me.’

44 “Then they will also answer, saying, ‘Lord, when did we see you hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and didn’t help you?’

45 “Then he will answer them, saying, ‘Most certainly I tell you, because you didn’t do it to one of the least of these, you didn’t do it to me.’ 46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”


No comments: