"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, May 20, 2006

At Random, 5/20/06

Immigration:



There, you see? The problem is solved.

McCain/Sullivan:

Sullivan on McCain's fence-straddling:

From Rich Lowry's account, it seems as if he was subjected to the usual leftist incivility. Too bad. If the left cannot respect McCain, they cannot respect anyone who differs from them. I'd also add the following. It seems significant to me that McCain has given two commencement speeches - at the far right Liberty University and the p.c. left New School. His choice of venues is in itself a statement. He intends to be a uniter, not a divider. Unlike the current president.

Sorry -- there is just so much wrong with this post that it's hard to know where to start. Rich Lowry, of course, is an unimpeachable source. (Ahem.) It actually sounds as though the heckling was fairly light, but that won't do if we're out to demonize "leftists." (Again.) Considering Sullivan's ongoing broils with the folks at NRO, the comment about "not respecting anyone who differs with them" is just too funny. There is, of course, the possibility that McCain intends to be a uniter. There's also the possibility that, after selling his soul to Bush in 2004, he figures he might as well go for broke.


Another Slap on the Wrist:

Well. Benedict finally "disciplined" an abusive priest. The story at WaPo is a bit more informative than the Vatican's statement.. Also see Andre Sullivan's post and his comments about Richard John Neuhaus' statements on the case. (I've discussed Neuhaus before on this blog. He's an apologist, not a journalist or serious thinker, in my opinion. He would be a good press secretary for Bush.)


Mary Cheney:

I suppose I ought to say something about Mary Cheney, since everyone else has. OK. There. I said something about Mary Cheney. (Read Scoot's post. I don't really have anything to add.)


Damned Activist Judges!

And what response did you expect?.


The Perfect Finish:


I like stories like this.

On a Friday night in Yarmouth this June, Const. Jason Tree and Const. David Connors will don their scarlet dress uniforms, stand before family, friends and co-workers and wed in the first same-sex marriage in the RCMP’s storied history.


Later. . . .

No comments: