"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, August 16, 2006

The New Republican Strategy

Run two candidates: Lieberman and Schlesinger in Connecticut, and Santorum and Romanelli in Pennsylvania.

How many do you think they'll run in Ohio?

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting that the tactic is now finally being identified for what it is. When I talk with Green and Independent acquaintances, I sometimes try to point out that all they're doing is spoiling elections; that having eight alternative parties would work IF and ONLY IF we had a parliamentary system; and that they should better use their talents, brains, and energies to help shape one or the other of the major parties -- ideas, I fear, that are invariably met with stubborn refusal. They also refuse to admit that taking GOP campaign donations like this simply makes them dupes of the christofascists.

Hunter said...

I think we'd be better off with a parliamentary government. But then, is Bill Frist or Dennis Hastert as Prime Minister worth neutralizing George W. Bush as a policy-maker?

Yes, of course third-party candidates who are being funded by one party or the other are nothing more than spoilers, as is Lieberman in Connecticut, as was Nader in 2000. Ask them if they care.