"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Adaptation

Speaking of evolution (which I will be, as you scroll down), Dale Carpenter at Volokh Conspiracy has noticed something. Speaking of Massachusetts:

Almost three years into the recognition of gay marriage, with no evidence of ill effects, polls in the state show majorities now supporting gay marriage.

What he doesn't mention is that the rallying cry of the anti-gay Christianists has shifted, in the case of Massachusetts and California, from "tyranny of unelected judges" to "tyranny of a few people in power in the legislature." In other words, "Unless I get my way, it's tyranny."

Of course they're in a panic. Same-sex marriage and near-marriage are becoming reality in more and more places in this country, and most people don't give a shit. Poor downtrodden power-hungry bigots. Cue violin.

No comments: