"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, December 09, 2006

Advocacy

A post from PZ Myers. Myers does what I (hopefully) do, which is to broaden the question. I've seen references to the NARAL story a couple of places, but Myers takes it to that place others only referred to in passing: the role of advocacy groups. I'm going to bring in another thread to this discussion: HRC and the other "mainstream" gay groups. This stance is exactly what's at the root of my dissatisfaction, and why Matthew Foreman made my idiots list: it's our fight, why aren't you fighting?

Myers has it right:

My goal is to shift the debate towards my position (without expecting that everyone will adopt my specific views), and I can't accomplish that by letting the rope go slack and drifting towards someone else's position.

So, loud and proud, baby. Fight for your ideas, not those that someone else tells you are examples of what the majority wants to hear. Majorities are made of individuals, and the only way we'll ever get an honest consensus is if everyone is singing out frankly for their own beliefs.


Exactly. Don't move to the "center." Move the center toward you. It worked for the Christianists, and now we have to take it back.

No comments: