"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

About Those Persians

This little bit caught my eye, from Digby quoting Newsweek:

Moved by Hanson's evocative essays, Cheney invited Hanson to dine with him and talk about the wars the Greeks waged against the Asian hordes, in defense of justice and reason, two and a half millennia ago.

Just in case anyone was wondering, the Persians were the same racial stock as the Greeks: Indo-European, from the same wave of migrations that found the Achaean Greeks (of Iliad fame) invading Hellas. The Persians just turned left at the Bosporus, that's all.

If Hanson is the one coming out with the "Asian hordes" bullshit, that just confirms my opinion of his intellectual strength. I suspect, though, it's Newsweek dispaying its liberal bias. Actually, the more I look at that statement, the funnier it is. Could it be the least little bit tongue in cheek?

Digby also comes up with this from the Jawa Report:

Go see "300". If you don't like it you probably hate America. That, or you're gay.

Excuse me? The big gay soft core film of the year so far? All those hot boys running around in Speedos and capes? (Packages, pecs and abs, oh my!) Not to mention those delicious kink queens on the Persian side. Yummy!

Actually, I haven't seen the film, but I'm beginning to think I want to. I just keep remembering one thing, though, as I read all the deep psychosocial analyses: it's from a comic book.

No comments: