"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, July 09, 2007

Another WTF Moment

You may have heard that Cindy Sheehan has decide to run for Congress. Is she going to oppose a right-wing nutcase? Nope She's going after Nancy Pelosi.

I haven't seen anyone in the left blogosphere calling this what it is: proof that the left nutcases are as much nutcases as the right nutcases. I'm really starting to believe what I thought was just a rightwing canard, that Sheehan has lost her marbles.

"Democrats and Americans feel betrayed by the Democratic leadership," Sheehan told The Associated Press. "We hired them to bring an end to the war. I'm not too far from San Francisco, so it wouldn't be too big of a move for me. I would give her a run for her money."

There is so much wrong with this that I can't even figure out where to start. I'm hardly a gung-ho Democratic supporter. There are a lot of the problems with the party as it stands, first being that they can't seem to get their message together (although there are signs of progress), and on my good days I'd just as soon they all got tossed out of Washington so we could start over. I don't necessarily agree with their congressional strategies, but then, they not only have obstructionist Republicans to deal with, both in Congress and the administration, but obstructionist Democrats. Why doesn't Sheehan go after one of those?

And then there's the diction. We "hired" the Democrats to do a job. How corporate of us. Who does Sheehan think she is, IBM? We elected Democrats wherever we were able to go to Washington and represent us in Congress, where there has been, for the past 230 years or so, a lot of give and take, compromise, and political maneuvering. There's a certain authoritarianism betrayed by Sheehan's statement, not to mention the entire stunt, that no one seems to be questioning. Maybe she's just being childish, and will hold her breath until the country turns blue. Maybe that's the problem with the extremes in both wings.

I'm sort of irritated that everyone who's reporting on this (so far -- I haven't run the full gamut yet) is treating her with kid gloves. The woman has become a real loon.

Maybe she should run for VP -- with, say, Ralph Nader. Put all our nuts in one basket.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm with you all the way up to her running for veep with Nader. Two authoritarian swollen egos on one ticket would be really, really dangerous if they were able to get along long enough to campaign effectively. Let her run with Stassen.

Hunter said...

It was a joke, Piet. I think they should both be hustled off to rest homes.

Anonymous said...

Well, yeah. Hasn't Harold Stassen been dead for five or six years? Gonna hafta sharpen up the edges of my wit . . .