"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, July 09, 2007

Neocon Logic

Andrew Sullivan often quotes others under several rubrics denoting greater or lesser degrees of irony (one of my favorite th ings). This one struck me because of the way it was labeled: "Michael Fumento, lambasting Hollywood's record in the terror war."

Of course, what struck me was the idea that Hollywood should have a record in the terror war. If we want to criticize someone about that, why not start with the guys who are running it?

Fumento's post is really pretty bad. The quote that Sullivan uses is the closest to rational in the whole thing, and actually contradicts the opening paragraph. The main points seem to be:

1. Hollywood isn't treating the war on terror the same as World War II.

2. Hollywood isn't singling out Arabs as the villains.

3. The war on terror is not the same as World War II, but couldn't we pretend that it is?

I can see why Sullivan gave it the Malkin Award.

No comments: