"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Impeach

From Crooks and Liars:

On Thursday, Chairman John Conyers’ House Judiciary Committee held a hearing at which Attorney General Michael Mukasey said that he would not investigate torture (video) or warrantless spying (video), he would not enforce contempt citations (video), and he would treat Justice Department opinions as providing immunity for crimes (report).

None of this was new, but perhaps it touched something in Conyers that had not been touched before. Following the hearing, he and two staffers met for an hour and 15 minutes with two members of Code Pink to discuss impeachment.


From this story, it sounds like Conyers is afraid of actually taking any action in the face of the administration's brazen dismissal of our form of government. Push him a little.

Here's contact information:

Call 202-225-5126
Fax 202-225-0072
Email john.conyers@mail.house.gov

And here's the e-mail I sent to him and to my own representative:

Dear Rep. Conyers:

I understand that you are considering instituting impeachment hearings against Attorney General Mukasey. Given his recent testimony before the House Judiciary Committee, in which he dismissed both the Congress and the Courts as partners in our government and essentially declared that the Department of Justice (and hasn't that become a misnomer of vast scale?) will be the sole arbiter of law, I feel that you have no other responsible course.

I would like to feel that the Democrats, at least, have some regard for our institutions and ideals and are willing to take the actions necessary to preserve the rule of law in this country. I urge you to begin such hearings as soon as possible. I am sending a copy of this e-mail to my own Congresswoman, Rep. Jan Schakowsky, to advise her of my support.

Thank you, and best wishes.


Translation of the second paragraph: Show some spine. Impeachment is way overdue and you don't help any of us by sitting there worrying about who's going to say mean things. We already know the answer to that.

No comments: