"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, April 26, 2008

Flip-Flop

Andrew Sullivan is endearing, but equally frustrating. Not what I would call a clear-eyed observer. He thinks McCain shows some integrity:

I know that it's possible to infer cynicism on the part of McCain and the GOP with respect to the North Carolina race-baiting ad. But I don't share that cynicism and believe McCain is sincere in not liking or appreciating this kind of politics. With a couple of exceptions (the South Carolina moment that McCain himself has regretted), McCain just isn't a Rove-style sleazebag.

Excuse me, Andrew, we're talking about the man who rolled over for Bush in '04 after being smeared in 2000. (And you want to bet the Republican nomination this year was the pay off?) There is a certain body of opinion that says that if McCain had wanted to stop that ad in North Carolina, he could have, but as it stands, the mantra gets out and McCain smells sweet. (Update: Here's Dave Neiwert on the way that works.)

Ah -- the awakening. Quoting McCain:

I think it's very clear who Hamas wants to be the next president of the United States. So apparently has Danny Ortega and several others. I think that people should understand that I will be Hamas's worst nightmare....If senator Obama is favored by Hamas I think people can make judgments accordingly.

'Nuff said?

No comments: