"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, September 13, 2008

Friday Gay Blogging, NSFW Edition



That happens to be, in my opinion, one of the most beautiful images I've ever made. It just clicks, formally, technically, and emotionally. What do you think?

Jeremy Hooper is covering the Values Voters Summit at Good As You, so I don't have to -- just click and keep on scrollin'. (They're always good for a laugh.)

Chris Crain on the Log Cabin Republicans' endorsement of McCain. It's an interesting article, and I think he mostly hits it on the head, but there's one thing that no one seems to be paying attention to. In his summation, Crain notes:

Instead, I'm afraid, the take-away message for GOP politicians and operatives is the one I took last week: opposing our equality doesn't really matter, even if like McCain the record is grossly out of touch with Republicans generally, so long as they say a few placating words.

In other words, we're at the same place with the Republicans as we are with the Democrats, with less substantive gains to show for it.

I think it's time (the elephant in the room I noted above) to start ignoring the national parties -- they're not responsive, aside from the few placating words, and we're not getting anywhere with them. (I could be wrong: Obama and a Democratic congress could actually produce, but we're not anywhere near the top of the list, and isn't it interesting that, when it comes to gay rights, our congressional leadership suddenly can only focus on one issue at a time? And it's not our issue?)

As we've seen time and time again, if we want to have any impact on either party, the place to work is local. Suddenly in New York, Republican assemblymen and senators are getting donations form gay donors. Why? Because of the marriage bill. In Chicago, we have an ear in City Hall. Why? Because in Chicago, gay votes and gay money represent an important constituency, localized in a couple of critical wards, and the mayor damned well knows it.

Puttting gays in office locally has a much bigger impact than anything that's going to happen nationally. Let's work with that.

Marriage note: My gut reaction is that all three anti-marriage amendments (California, Arizona, and Florida) are in trouble. I'm not saying that they're going to go down in flames, but it's no longer a slam-dunk for the rabid right. The recent decision by a Florida court that the gay adoption ban is unconstitutional could cut either way there -- the nutjobs will be in the streets howling about it, but it's the sort of thing that could work heavily in gays' favor, if someone with some tactical sense got behind the campaign. Oh, wait. . . . This is Florida we're talking about. And liberals. Never mind.

Dessert this week from Made in Brazil -- and boy can they make them down there! It's a limited engagement, so check it out:

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

About your photo -- I think it's gorgeous, a beautiful tension between action and stillness.

Hunter said...

Thanks -- it's always been one of my favorites.