"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, September 12, 2008

Interim

Sorry, boys and girls, but no FGB today -- tomorrow, for sure. (Still a little unfocused and tired, but getting better fast.)

However, I thought you needed something to tide you over, and thanks to Scott Lemieux at LG&M, here's a choice bit from Camille Paglia, who managed to top herself again:

At her startling debut on that day, [Palin] was combining male and female qualities in ways that I have never seen before. And she was somehow able to seem simultaneously reassuringly traditional and gung-ho futurist. In terms of redefining the persona for female authority and leadership, Palin has made the biggest step forward in feminism since Madonna channeled the dominatrix persona of high-glam Marlene Dietrich and rammed pro-sex, pro-beauty feminism down the throats of the prissy, victim-mongering, philistine feminist establishment.

One hardly knows what to say. Paglia's pretty much wrong throughout the article, mostly echoing the comfortably self-reflective observations of the villagers, but this quote seems to be the prize. (My favorite is when she says that McCain is "eating Obama's lunch" -- excuse me: he's coming off the convention with an unbelievably controversial VP pick, and has just managed to pull even in the polls. That's eating Obama's lunch? Talk to me next week, when people finally take a good look at Palin and discover there's no there there.)

I figured you could all use a good laugh today.

No comments: