"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, October 02, 2008

You Have To Wonder

I'm becoming convinced that conservatives see the Constitution as, at best, an irrelevancy. I can't think of any other way to explain this incoherent post by Ramesh Ponnuru:

Those excerpts from Couric's interviews give me more concerns about Biden than Palin. He seems to be under the impression that there's a "liberty clause" in the Fourteenth Amendment (he has talked about it in Supreme Court confirmation hearings too).

Publius corrects the record:

Fourteenth Amendment, U.S. Constitution:

[N]or shall any State deprive any person of life, liberty, or property, without due process of law[.]


And yes, courts do in fact refer to it as the "liberty clause" too.


And Publius gives examples.

And then he refers us to Ed Kilgore, who provides a nice deconstruction of Ponnuru's entire post.

Both Kilgore and publius aver that they have respect for Ponnuru's intelligence and capabilities. That's more than I can say, I'm afraid -- I've not found his arguments on various issues in the least compelling, even when he does seem to know what he's talking about. But then, I don't read him regularly, so maybe I'm missing something. Maybe.

No comments: