"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Everybody Else Gets It

Via Pam's House Blend, this little item:

OMG. What IS going on in Latin America! Just a couple of hours ago, the Supreme Court in Costa Rica ruled that a referendum scheduled for December 1st which would have banned marriage rights for same-sex couples was unconstitutional.

The article does not give the vote total but says that the majority determined that the issue of marriage rights was a judicial issue and not an electoral issue and that the rights of minorities should never be subjected to a referendum process where they might be subjected to the wishes of a majority.
(My emphasis.)

There's a link to the article (Spanish language) at the post.

As to how that applies here, I refer you to the video of Ted Olson and Chris Matthews in this post.

An update, via AmericaBlog:

Mexico's supreme court has ruled that same-sex marriages in Mexico City must be recognised throughout the country.

I also just learned that Uruguay recognizes same-sex civil unions.

No comments: