"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, January 24, 2011

Today's Must Read

It's a little bit of hope, from NYT, via Gary Farber at Obsidian Wings.

It's the sort of program that will never be considered here because 1) it works -- it actually solves the problem, and 2) it contains no mechanism for punishing people for being poor, i.e., less greedy and ruthless than those who stand to benefit by keeping them where they are.

It's a nice dream, though.

2 comments:

Nigel said...

What a wonderful report. So often I feel there's no hope -- yet here is a program which works, and which changes things for the better. Thanks for this: you've made me much happier than I was this morning.

Hunter said...

It's amazing what you can accomplish when you just dump the ideology and focus on addressing real problems in real ways.