"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, January 01, 2012

Well, It's 2012

I know because my computer has a little time/date thingy down in the corner, and it says "1/1/2012." It's not really all that different from yesterday -- unfortunately. (Yes, I've been reading the news and the blogs this morning. Sigh.)

Someone mentioned New Year's resolutions on a blog post yesterday. I gave up on those years ago -- just one more set of expectations that I'm not going to fulfill. Come to think of it, I stopped living up to anyone else's expectations awhile ago, too. It turns out life is a lot more palatable that way.

So here I am at the coffee shop, ready to work, and not a thought in my head. But the sun came out for a bit, at least. (It was raining this morning. Rain. On January 1. In Chicago.)

I think I have to ask them to turn down the volume on the music a bit. The music's OK, but it's loud enough to be a distraction, and I need to focus. Still working on the damned Welsh book. There are some pretty sketchy essays in there.

So that's my New Year so far. How's yours?

And here's something I haven't done in a while:

No comments: