"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, December 16, 2012

In the wake


of another massacre of school children, the cockroaches have certainly come out from hiding. It's time for another installment of Disgusting People.

Let's start with Mike Huckabee, who's either a pastor or a former governor, or both -- I suspect he has trouble telling the difference. At any rate, this time he's in full-blown religious nut mode:

Former Arkansas governor Mike Huckabee attributed the mass shooting at Sandy Hook Elementary School in part to restrictions on school prayer and religious materials in the classroom.

"We ask why there is violence in our schools, but we have systematically removed God from our schools," Huckabee said on Fox News, discussing the murder spree that took the lives of 20 children and 6 adults in Newtown, CT that morning. "Should we be so surprised that schools would become a place of carnage?"

Law enforcement has released few details on the alleged gunman, but Huckabee suggested that the separation of church and state may have spurred his rampage.

Nothing like using a tragedy -- dead 6 and 7 year-olds, for the love of all that's holy -- to push your personal agenda.

In as similar vein, Bryan Fischer, who can usually be counted on to be scraping at the bottom of the barrel, came out with this:
Fischer said that God could have protected the victims of this massacre, but didn't because "God is not going to go where he is not wanted" and so if school administrators really want to protect students, they will start every school day with prayer.

There's video at the link. I just don't want Fischer's face on my blog.

This is choice: Larry Pratt, Executive Director of Gun Owners of America, came out with this:
“Gun control supporters have the blood of little children on their hands. Federal and state laws combined to insure that no teacher, no administrator, no adult had a gun at the Newtown school where the children were murdered. This tragedy underscores the urgency of getting rid of gun bans in school zones. The only thing accomplished by gun free zones is to insure that mass murderers can slay more before they are finally confronted by someone with a gun.”

Can you say "f**ked up"? Add this man's mind to the list of places I wouldn't be caught dead in.

And you can always count on Westboro Baptist Church:


I'm sort of surprised that Tony Perkins and Brian Brown aren't out there blaming it on same-sex marriage.

That's all I can deal with right now. This whole thing has depressed the hell out of me for two days.

Except -- John Cole sort of sums up my feelings on the whole "gun control" thing:

Because in the middle of one of the most dangerous regions in the world, even with clear Rules of Engagement, every time I went on gate duty, there was a piece of tape over my ammo clip on my M-16 and M1911 .45. Why? Because the most heavily armed military in the world did not want accidental shootings. If a situation arose, I would have to eject my ammo clip, remove the tape, and reinsert and work the action before I could fire.

This was in a combat zone. Yet I have spent the last two fucking days dealing with armchair commandos telling me they need unlimited firepower to be safe in… Connecticut.

If there are bigger pussies in the world than gun nuts, I don’t know who the fuck they are.






No comments: