"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, December 11, 2012

Sound and Fury


Signifying nothing.

That seems to be the take in the country on the "fiscal cliff" noise coming out of Washington. This is an illuminating story about people's reactions to the "negotiations" and the players.

John Baker, 65, a Denver psychologist, said he had little faith in Congress' ability to fix the problem: "I don't think Congress can fix a flat tire."

"It's a typical Washington, 'Let's hit the panic button and keep people scared so they will let us do what we want to do,'" Baker said in a downtown Denver Starbucks. "Ultimately, it will be fixed but not until a lot of pockets are lined."

That pretty much sums up my feeling. Congress and the President made this mess, it's all kabuki marking time until the next election, and I have no faith in their ability to come up with something that works. I will credit Obama one thing: he's offering options that have a chance of actually working, unlike the teabagger caucus and Grover Norquist. And at least he doesn't seem to be negotiating with himself this time, but who knows how long that will last. I have no faith in the Democrats in Congress, or most of them -- the couldn't find their asses with both hands and a map. The Republicans are even worse -- they just deny that they have asses.

Can you see why I get fed up reading the news?

No comments: