"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Law Nerd

So it's 6:30 in the morning and I'm sitting here reading a legal ruling. This one happens to be from the South Dakota case, and it quite cogently and clearly demolishes the state's contention that its marriage ban is special.

Unfortunately, the judge saw fit to stay the ruling pending appeal. At this point, although routine, it's pointless, although the Eighth Circuit, which includes South Dakota, has yet to rule on a marriage case. Given the weight of other decisions, however, and the fact that the Supreme Court refused to extend the stay in Florida, even though the Eleventh Circuit has not ruled, it seems pointless.

At any rate, South Dakota makes it 37 plus D.C.

No comments: