"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, January 12, 2015

Marriage News Watch, January 12, 2015

It's been a huge week for marriage equality. Florida became the 36th state with the freedom to marry, judges in three southern states heard oral arguments, and the Supreme Court considered cases from five states. Plus a lawmaker in Texas is wasting everyone's time with a new anti-gay law that would make life difficult for everyone.


Here's a story on Cecil Bell, Jr. and his bill allowing -- what? Nullification? License to discriminate? All of the above?

And here's a story on Scott Schneider and his "religious freedom bill" in Indiana.

And just to cap off the "religious freedom" theme for now, read Frank Bruni's column at NYT on that little phenomenon. I may have more to say about it later, once I've digested it a bit.

Quite a roster.

No comments: