"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, July 29, 2015

Today in Disgusting People (Update)

I've tended to give Pat Robertson a pass on a lot of things, on the assumption that he's just a nasty man who's gone senile and needs to be kept in the attic or something, as is normally the case in his culture. However, there is always the possibility that he's just as cynically manipulative as the rest of his cronies among the rabidly right-wing "Christians," as this story seems to underscore:

Robertson, who, like Kariuki, believes that LGBT rights will lead to divine wrath against America, said that “those Africans have got it right.”

“One wishes that the president of the United States would listen to some of his fellow Africans, cousins, to what they have to say because they speak truth and they speak wisdom,” he added.

Aside from the fact that Robertson wouldn't recognize truth or wisdom if they were parading naked in front of him, I suppose it's no surprise that he would be praising Africans for clinging desperately to the worst aspects of the colonial period, especially the most pernicious forms of Christianity. As for whether he's senile or cynical, well, just look at that statement: a nice little capsule version of the "Christian" right's racism and homophobia, delivered by your grandfather.

There's even video. I recommend viewing it on an empty stomach.


Update:Make this guy First Runner Up.

I have to confess, I just don't get big game hunting. I subscribe to the idea that if you kill it, you gotta eat it -- unless it bites you first.




No comments: