"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, May 02, 2016

Culture Break: Corvus Corax: Saltarello

During one brief period, I got several CDs for review that all seemed to center on the Berlin clubs. One of the most notable was The Best Of Corvus Corax. They started off as an East Berliner street band, drawing their music from medieval sources -- nine men, six on bagpipes, three on drums. This is what they're like in concert:


The album itself is quite engaging. One of these days I'll start poking around to see if there's more available from them -- at the time, "Best of" was the only CD released in the States.

And if you go to YouTube, the comments are from all over the world -- in German, of course, but also greetings from Japan, Serbia, some in what appears to be Portuguese, Spanish, even Irish. They obviously have international appeal.


No comments: