"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, May 02, 2016

Just Under the Surface

Should I be more surprized at things like this than I am?

Old Navy tweeted a family showing off their cheap clothes on Friday that happens to be an interracial family. The photo sent the internet into an uproar and racists clutched their pearls to such an extent that it even began trending on Twitter Sunday afternoon.

Here’s the original tweet:





Oh, happy day! Our is finally here. Take 30% off your entire purchase: http://oldnvy.me/1LUMNBd 

The responses are, to anyone who's decent, pretty awful.  This is possibly the most outrageous:


I'm not ashamed. Really I consider slavery a testiment to our kindness.

It's not only about gay couples eating Cherios. Do you really wonder at the popularity of Donald Trump among right-wing extremists?

Local note: I can't even think how many interracial couples I see in the course of a day. In fact, just yesterday I stopped off at the Jewel to pick up a couple of things and was in line for the check-out behind a gay interracial couple and their daughter. Can you imagine how these dodos would react to that? Sorry, Gomer, but in my part of the world, that's normal.

No comments: