"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, May 24, 2016

Idiot du Jour

Sandy Rios, of one of those hate groups -- right, American Family Association (sorry, but they all sound alike). But then, Sandy Rios is an idiot every day. Her pearls of wisdom on the confirmation of Eric Fanning as Secretary of the Army:

Yesterday, American Family Association official Sandy Rios criticized the confirmation of Eric Fanning to be Army secretary. Rios didn’t find anything wrong with Fanning’s qualifications, she was just upset that he is a gay man.

As a gay man, Rios said, Fanning cannot be an “alpha male.”

“When it comes to leading men into battle, when it comes to being secretary of the Army, I’ll take an alpha male any day,” she said. “I’m sorry. I know these war-like men too well and I don’t think most of them — very few of them are gay. You that are in the gay community, if you were to describe your friends and colleagues who are in this community, I don’t think you would describe them as warriors. I’m sure there are some, but still, I would prefer an alpha male.”

First off, the Secretary of the Army does not "lead men into battle." That's why we have generals. And we sure as hell don't want a warlike man in that position.

But, taking her at face value: Alcibiades, Alexander the Great, Frederick the Great, Baron von Steuben, just off the top of my head. I'm sure a little digging would turn up more.

As for the idea that a gay man cannot be an alpha male -- pfft! Does she even know what an "alpha male" is?

Via Dispatches from the Culture Wars.



No comments: