"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Friday, January 27, 2017

The First Week

I was going to post yesterday on the horrors coming out of the White House, but there was just too much -- input overload. However, Politico has done the work for me: here's a summary of Trump's executive orders so far, which are pretty much as bad as you thought.

One that strikes me as odd, since it seems to me to be the one positive thing that Trump has done, is number 4 on the list:

4. Scrapping the Trans-Pacific Partnership

Trump’s next executive action withdrew the United States from the Trans-Pacific Partnership, which former President Barack Obama negotiated with 11 other pacific nations. The deal was never ratified by the Senate, so it had not gone into effect. Instead, the Trump administration says it plans on negotiating bilateral deals with individual nations.

Comments I've seen are all on the order to "Oh, no! We're going to be left out and China will fill the gap!" When Obama was pushing the deal, one thing that made it an absolute no go for me and a lot of other commentators was the provision that took adjudication of conflicts involving worker's rights laws out of the jurisdiction of national courts and put it under the control of a special panel composed of corporate stooges. Aside from issues of national sovereignty, the idea of having safety and health standards under the jurisdiction of people who don't give a flying flip about worker's safety and health was pretty repellent.

And now that Trump is pulling us out of it, that's a terrible thing.

(Via Towleroad.)

Go figure.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Re: TPP, I keep thinking the problem with the president* pulling out of the deal is two-fold: that now we will have to negotiate with eleven separate entities, and that the negotiators will be even less concerned with workers' rights and intellectual property disputes than the previous administration was; instead of setting up a separate tribunal to handle such issues, the problems will be turned over to a dozen different third-party plans formed and administered by even more heavy-handed corporate interests. The situation seems to me to have gone from bad to much, much worse.