"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Thursday, March 02, 2017

Today's Must-Read: Trump's "Presidential" Speech

Everyone (well, most everyone) is falling all over themselves giving The Hairpiece credit for his speech to the Houses of Congress, even given the travesty of his treatment of Carryn Owens, widow of Navy SEAL William Owens who was killed in that pointless raid in Yemen. Betty Cracker at Balloon Juice actually looks at the substance:

Earlier this week, before he bowled over shallow pundits by delivering a speech that would have been panned if delivered by literally any other president, Trump appeared on Fox & Friends to hold forth on a favorite topic:
Well, look, you know, it just seems the other side, whenever they are losing badly, they always pull out the race card. And I’ve watched it for years. I’ve watched it against Ronald Reagan. I’ve watched it against so many other people. And they always like pulling out the race card.
This was pure projection. Trump plays the race card constantly, and has all of his public life. He has fomented racial hatred and profited from racist business practices for decades. In the 1980s, Trump famously took out a full-page ad in the NYT to call for the execution of the innocent nonwhite teenagers in the “Central Park jogger” case — and doubled down on that during the campaign, even though the teenagers in question were exonerated years ago.

She elaborates, and she's right -- racism in its various forms has been the basis of Trump's whole campaign and his presidency to date.

Read the whole thing.

(And please note: Betty Cracker is one of my favorite bloggers anywhere, no matter what she's writing on. She reminds me of me.)

Coda: Also, this.

No comments: