"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, May 13, 2006

Next Teapot

This is unbelievable. Jonah Goldberg responding to Andrew Sullivan has once again completely missed the point, as witnessed by his uncritical stance on the e-mail in this post.

Money quote, as Andrew would say:

Podhoretz and Derbyshire were engaged in a vigorous debate over whether it makes sense for America to preserve its ethnic composition.

And what, pray tell, is America's "ethnic composition"? Scots-Irish? Western European? Pan-European? What about the original inhabitants? Which wave of immigration, willing or forced, European, African, Asian, South American, gets included?

If anything is more revealing of a deep-seated racist bias, I can't imagine what it would be.

No comments: