"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, January 23, 2006

Stray Thought

You may wonder why I don't spend time dishing people like Michelle Malkin, Anne Coulter, Rush Limbaugh, and the like.

If you look up at the description of this blog, you will see that it says "First causes, life's little ironies," etc.

Commentators like those are certainly not first causes, although they might fit under "life's little ironies" -- at least, if there were any sort of sense of humor involved, which there isn't.

They're symptoms, and apparently someone thinks they are valuable mouthpieces. My own take is that they're vicious and probably fairly stupid, as well as being cynically manipulative. (Those aren't necessarily mutually exclusive -- stupidity can be masked by a kind of peasant shrewdness, which is the closest I figure that group comes to intelligence. It's all about perceived self-interest.) So I don't bother with them, the same way I don't bother with tracking Focus on the Family or any of the other "American family" organizations. (Quite aside from the fact that the latter actually make me physically ill.)

I can't make myself take them seriously enough to devote space to them here. I know a lot of people take them seriously, but a lot of people believe that creationism is science.

If you want trash on them, go to World O'Crap or Tbogg. They're very funny, and very deadly.

No comments: