"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, February 01, 2006

At Random, 2/1/06

Read this:

From Joe. My. God.


Just So You Know:

I'm not really a wild-eyed leftist. In fact, I'm more a "compassionate libertarian" than anything else (and I know I'm laying myself open using the "c" word -- the difference: I know what compassion is). Societies exist for the mutual benefit of their members; the rule of law, based on overriding principles and developed through the will of the people, is the only workable basis for a society; a just society requires mechanisms for us to take care of each other; and otherwise, we should learn to butt out.

That's my political philosophy in a nutshell. ("Pure" political philosophies make nice intellectual exercises. Past a certain point, though, it's like having a passionate relationship with your right hand. Or your left.)

In other words, I like our system. I think it's a good one.

But the longer I have to deal with the Dubyah and his Christianist handlers, the more I start to feel like a wild-eyed leftist.

I've read excerpts of the State of the Union.

Lord. Love. A. Duck. (Or, in the parlance of today: "Wash, rinse, repeat.")


The Numbers:

Interesting graph comparing Bush and Nixon, with Clinton thrown in for reference. My inner Michael Moore finds this very comforting. Via Andrew Sullivan.


Gonzales Lied:

Sen. Russell Feingold (D-Wis.) charged yesterday that Attorney General Alberto R. Gonzales misled the Senate during his confirmation hearing a year ago when he appeared to try to avoid answering a question about whether the president could authorize warrantless wiretapping of U.S. citizens.

And this is news exactly how?


Apropos of Nothing:

The topic came up in a discussion board the other day about being ogled. Some of us were commiserating about not being ogled any more (yes, gay men are ageist).

The last time I was ogled -- and I mean really ogled -- it was by a straight guy at the place I had just started working (not all that long ago, actually). Read "hard cruise." That sort of thing always intimidates the hell out of me, because I don't know how to respond -- I get all embarrassed. Consequently, it took several months for us reach the point of speaking. He's a nice guy. Beautiful eyes -- terminally beautiful eyes.

But I started thinking back over experiences with straight men. They seem to have one of two reactions to me: either total and utter panic (I once had a potential client leave his jacket in the office in his rush to get out; it was March), or total and utter fascination (and that has happened any number of times, to the point of some seriously mixed signals).

Go figure.

I've actually been busy -- barely home for the past three days, and about to take off again. I have four books sitting here that I've read but haven't had a chance to write up yet. Not to mention all the First Causes sitting in my "blog topics" folder. (There are even a couple of ruminations.)

Tomorrow.

Maybe.

No comments: