"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, April 04, 2006

At Random, 4/4/06

Why I Seldom Read Right-Wing Bloggers #432:

From Tbogg. the Grand Master of Snark, quoting the Salvador Dali of right wing bloggers, John Hinderaker (except, of course, from all appearances Hinderaker is not smart enough to be compared to Dali):

It's too bad, I think. DeLay was an effective leader, albeit too liberal in recent years. It's possible, of course, that he did something wrong along the way. But there is no evidence of that in the public domain; as I've often said, the politically-inspired prosection of DeLay by Travis County's discredited DA, Ronnie Earle, is a bad joke. As far as we can tell at the moment, DeLay appears to be yet another victim of the Democrats' politics of personal destruction--the only politics they know.

I'm afraid my sense of humor is too quiet for me to spend a lot of time reading shills like Hinderaker. I also prefer my fantasy with more substantial literary quality -- say, Glen Cook rather than Robert Jordan -- and I don't have a lot of patience with overt self-indulgence.

Besides, if people are going to set themselves up as political commentators, they should have some sort of contact with reality, shouldn't they?


Well, Actually. . . .

From Andrew Sullivan.

On Wednesday of this week, at two minutes and three seconds after 1:00 AM, the time and date will be 01:02:03 04/05/06.

That won't ever happen again.


Actually, as Sullivan later notes, it happens every hundred years. And, if you want to kick the sequence up a number, it happens every year -- 02:03:04 05/06/07, for example. That is, until you get more than twelve years into the new century (unless you use military time, I guess, in which case . . . oh, to hell with it. You get the idea.)

But it's sort of neat anyway.


I'm Still Waiting

For a rational argument against same-sex marriage.

Just so you know.


Scalia Redux

Or, simply another way to arrive at the same answer. From Chris Lamparello at Wayne Besen:

Fast forward 200 years. (Yep, over 200 years has passed, Judge.) We now know that people who fall in love with members of their own sex exist as a class. This changes the entire debate, and dramatically so! But some people, Judge Scalia among them, don't want to acknowledge this change. The idea that the principles behind the constitution are as worthwhile as the constitution itself are lost on him.

Yep.


Speechless

Pam at Pam's House Blend is asking for volunteers to help formulate a response to this bizarre character. I'm not really very good at dealing with smug, self-important stupidity, but if you can come up with something civilized, by all means jump in.


OK -- later. I have reviews to churn out today. And it looks as though we might actually be having a spring day on a day I don't have to work in an office.

No comments: