"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, July 15, 2006

At Random/ 7/15/06

And The Meek Shall Inherit. . .

Whatever the strong want them to have, I guess.

Arlen Specter, Guardian of Democracy:

This bill is not a compromise but a full-fledged capitulation on the part of the legislative branch to executive claims of power. Mr. Specter has not been briefed on the NSA's program. Yet he's proposing revolutionary changes to the very fiber of the law of domestic surveillance -- changes not advocated by key legislators who have detailed knowledge of the program. This week a remarkable congressional debate began on how terrorists should face trial, with Congress finally asserting its role in reining in overbroad assertions of presidential power. What a tragedy it would be if at the same time, it acceded to those powers on the fundamental rights of Americans.

Y'know, Arlen Specter is turning out to be one of the most mealy-mouthed liars in the Senate, and that takes some hard work. No wonder my friends in Philadelphia aren't impressed.

The cynic in me says, "Yeah, watch this congressional debate -- the House wants to legalize Gitmo, some of them want to make it worse, and Bush and Rumsfeld, as it turns out, were lying when they said they would adhere to the Geneva Conventions. Again.


Shout Radio.

I like that. I hadn't heard it before until I ran across it at Outside the Tent. Another reason I don't listen to talk radio: I get enough of people being stupid and ignorant just working a switchboard.


Idiot of the Week:

Also thanks to Outside the Tent, here's a blog at TownHall, where the clueless right hangs out. This blogger's handle is, appropriately enough, "dopey."

Get this (scroll down to "Not My Brother's Fault"):

Well, duh. The more brothers you have, the more likelihood that one of them will be a "You Know What" or left-handed, or blue-eyed. It's the same kind of junk science that supports global warming because even if it is warmer now, the more years you have the more likely it is that one of them will be warm.

I'm not making this up. (I'm not actually convinced that this isn't a parody -- the wingnuts at TownHall would never catch it, that's for sure.)


Ewww! Gross!

I didn't think anything could top the white stretched passenger van I've seen lurching around downtown for bad taste, but today . . . well, brace yourself:

A white, stretched 2+2 pick-up truck, complete with custom rear bed cover.

OK, that's it -- the end of civilization as we know it.

No comments: