"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, September 20, 2006

Christians and Torture

Andrew Sullivan echoes my question. He follows up in his next post, starting with the documentary Jesus Camp. I am reminded of the "Our Leader" billboards in the South during the last election. It's a scary phenomenon.

The torture issue should be a no brainer for any Christian, or any person of any faith whatsoever. That we're even having this debate is grotesque. That the administration is at the point of parsing the nuances of torture just makes it even more grotesque.

As far as the torture bill goes, the Democracts have, once again, given up the lead to the Republicans. Everyone seems to be noting the division in Republican ranks on this issue, but I haven't noticed anyone remarking that the Democrats are largely invisible. Here is the chance to call it like it is and to take the moral high ground and the Democrats, once again, are standing on the sidelines.

I may just sit out the next election. There's no one to vote for.

No comments: