"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, March 31, 2007

I Think They Did This In Germany, Once

And the Soviet Union, and Communist China, and a few other places that didn't have much use for democracy. Here's Chris Kelly's post on The John Doe Club, as touted by Michelle Malkin.

Stirring words. It's like Pat Benatar wrote Braveheart. And it can obviously leave us with only one question: Is there something stronger than Ritalin?

Does Michelle Malkin believe the things she writes? Is she five? Is she living in a parallel universe where Afghanistan is occupying us? Can you sit down and type, "I will not submit to your will," to a hypothetical Arab teenager and not feel a little ... silly?

And that's where the cognitive dissonance of racism kicks in. If you're an Arab man, she can't believe you're not a jihadist. And since she's an Asian woman, we're surprised that she's such an idiot.


The irony here, of course, is that America's foremost anti-brown-people ideologue is Michelle Malkin. Let's face it, her ancestors did not come over on the Mayflower. I know something about internalized self-hate. I'm also smart enough to recognize it and do something about it. In myself, at least.

Yeah, I read the pledge. I won't link to Malkin because I don't link to hate sites. I strikes me that if she is one of the most important voices for conservatism, it's no wonder that conservatism is in such bad odor right now.

No comments: