"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, March 20, 2007

Marriage And The Constitution

From none other than Antonin Scalia, as quoted by Ann Althouse:

You may also be interested to know that he reveals what he thinks about whether Congress has the power to regulate marriage: "No, I don't see anything in there. I don't see any authorization of the federal government to do that." So presumably, in Scalia's view the Defense of Marriage Act, which among other things, absolves states of the obligation to respect same-sex marriages made in other states, is unconstitutional.

Scalia, you may remember, is the one who has come up with such priceless legal pronouncements as "the Constitution doesn't guarantee anyone the right to homosexual sex" and "doesn't guarantee the right to homosexual marriage." As I read it, the Constitution doesn't guarantee the right to sex or marriage at all, and anything that can be interpreted (another one of those dirty liberal words) to mean so doesn't differentiate between straight and gay.

Who knows? Maybe he finally read the damned thing.

No comments: