"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, March 25, 2007

More on Morality

Vis-a-vis my ongoing conversation with GayPatriotWest on morality (currently on hiatus, because we are both busy with other things right now), I happened across this post at Echidne of the Snakes. Eye-opener:

Morality is a concept in disrepute. That is because people mistake the system of taboos based on authority for morality. Those tediously repeated, hypocritically observed taboos are the officially recognized “morals”, the only ones that are allowed. But those taboos, based in inequality and disrespect for the equal rights of individuals, are alien to a modern democracy. Their utter failure, even within the most tradition ridden families and communities, show that they are false.

"The system of taboos." What I've been trying to say for a couple of years now. I've been calling it "a list of rules" but the taboo thing is a lot more accurate.

Very interesting post. Read the whole thing.

No comments: