"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Wednesday, October 10, 2007

S-CHIP and the Loonysphere

This very thorough post by Barbara O'Brien reflects the tenor of the left's reaction to the right-wing attacks on Graeme Frost -- who, as you might remember, is twelve years old and made the mistake of appearing in an ad supporting S-CHIP.

However, one thing I haven't seen in the online discussions of this, which focus on how disgusting the whole tactic is, is the real purpose of the Malkin-led swiftboating: aside from the fact that Malkin and her ilk have no moral standards whatsoever, their goal here is to scare anyone else who might lend their support.

Think about it -- would you want your kid to appear in a public forum in support of a good program that has proven its value if you're going to have your personal information published in some right-wing smear campaign and be subjected to total strangers peering in your windows at all hours and calling you with threats?

I'd have second thoughts.

No comments: