"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Identifying the Issues

I've said before that John Edwards, whom I support for the Democratic nomination, is the one who is waging the real campaign. Crooks and Liars has this letter to Edwards from Martin Luther King III:

…I appreciate that on the major issues of health care, the environment, and the economy, you have framed the issues for what they are - a struggle for justice. And, you have almost single-handedly made poverty an issue in this election.

You know as well as anyone that the 37 million people living in poverty have no voice in our system. They don’t have lobbyists in Washington and they don’t get to go to lunch with members of Congress. Speaking up for them is not politically convenient. But, it is the right thing to do.

I am disturbed by how little attention the topic of economic justice has received during this campaign. I want to challenge all candidates to follow your lead, and speak up loudly and forcefully on the issue of economic justice in America.


That's one major reason I support Edwards. Another is that he understands that you can't compromise with the elite that is presently running this country -- they have no reason to sit down with you because they already have everything.* It's symptomatic that the press doesn't bother to give him coverage -- after all, they're part of the problem. Both Clinton and Obama seem sort of washed-out when you compare their statements to Edwards' -- they're trying to hard to cater to the right, which hates them both anyway.

They're all talking change, but Edwards is the only one I believe.

* The third reason is his haircut.

No comments: