"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Saturday, June 28, 2008

Guns

Very good post from Barbara O'Brien at Mahablog on the Heller decision. I think, on first reading, that I agree almost completely with her reasoning: it seems odd that the Founders would plop a collective right down in the middle of a list of individual rights like that, and if one looks at the time, of course the Second Amendment would guarantee the right of individuals to own firearms. And, it's quite obviously a states' rights issue as well -- a federal gun regulation standard is simply unworkable, not to mention downright stupid. (Watch for a bill to appear in Congress.)

And the NRA? As seems to be the case with advocacy groups these days, they seem to think that their position requires an extremist response. Bugger 'em.

No comments: