"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, December 14, 2008

Well, This Is Annoying

Can I make a comment about Nate Silver's comment on the nonexistent Blagojevich/Obama connection?

With Rod Blagojevich facing the triple threats of impeachment, court-ordered removal from office, and a federal indictment, the tribulations of the Illinois Governor may yet prove to have an effect on Barack Obama's approval ratings -- but the early signs are that Blago will have no tangible impact on the public's perception of the President-elect.

There seems to be an underlying tone of amazement here. Maybe it's just that I consider the whole question not even worth asking to begin with. Of course, I live in Illinois, so maybe I have a better idea of what's actually going on here. (Of course, I probably have a better idea of what's going on anywhere than most of the people commenting on things.

What annoys me about it is simply the fact that Silver's comments actually grant the whole mantra some validity. I realize it's going to take time to break the pattern of the last ten or fifteen years -- just eating whatever the RWNM comes up with and spewing it back out -- but can we at least make a start with a healthy dose of scepticism? Please?

Maybe, just maybe, the public has finally gotten over taking the pronouncements of such as William Kristol and Michelle Malkin as something worth listening to. And maybe, just maybe, that means that in spite of all their efforts to shape the public perception of Obama, they're tanking.

Ya think?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

FREE On-Demand TV Shows (Full), Movies (Full), Music (6 million digital quality tracks), Unlimited Games, Easy Money, and College Educations (Stanford, Oxford, Notre Dame and more) @ InternetSurfShack.com