"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Tuesday, May 19, 2009

Hell Week

I used to use that term to describe the times we were hosting traveling exhibitions when I was at Sotheby's -- at least one night during those weeks, I wouldn't bother to go to bed: no time, and I would be at O'Hare in the wee hours collecting the show anyway. (I was told after one reception that I was very charming and gracious and helpful in talking about the art. I don't remember that evening at all -- I was completely on automatic.) This week is slightly different: I have a horrific writing schedule over the next couple of months, and right now I'm on deadline for way too many reviews. (But remember to check out Green Man Review on May 31 -- lots of reviews of neat stuff, and the best continuity I've written so far.)

However, I did run across a couple of interesting things at AmericaBlog, both related to health care -- and the site, by the way, is a good place to keep up on that whole issue. Both Chris in Paris and John Aravosis are pretty much up on it, and Aravosis has some personal horror stories that I can relate to very easily.

Read and get mad.

No comments: