"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, March 01, 2010

"It's Working"

More from the eternal maverick, John McCain, on DADT:


But the Arizona Senator seemed to dismiss the opinions of those military leaders Sunday. "Admiral Mullen was as quote speaking personally. Just this week commandant of the Marine Corps said he did not want Don't ask, don't tell repealed. There are many in the military who do not want to," said McCain.

McCain went on to say that the discriminatory policy is effective. "I believe that it's working," he told David Gregory Sunday.

Point 1: Last I heard, the military doesn't determine public policy.

Point 2: What's the basis for saying "it's working"? McCain is not the only person I've heard saying that, but no one seems to want to talk about what that means. (And is that any surprise?) What was the policy meant to do? If its sole purpose was discrimination (which seems to be the case), then it's working beautifully. If it was meant to somehow enhance our military capabilities, can someone please point to examples of how it has done that?

Just asking.

No comments: