"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, March 22, 2010

Vocabulary Lesson

I've seen this one too much lately (Digby quoting Politico):

The White House and anti-abortion Democrats have reached an agreement to diffuse the controversy over abortion in the health reform bill – planning a series of steps that will secure the support of Rep. Bart Stupak (D-Mich.) and other Democrats to give party leaders the votes they need to pass reform, sources tell POLITICO. (Emphasis added)

The word is "defuse," as in "take away the ignition device." That's what you do to a controversy -- you don't dilute it by spreading it around (that just makes it worse). I don't know that I expect a writer for Politico to be literate, but it would be nice, wouldn't it?

Oh,and Bart Stupak is not, as Digby says, a hero -- he's a jackass, a religious nut who I hope is going to lose his seat over this one.

No comments: