"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Monday, April 12, 2010

Aw, nuts!

I hate having my stereotypes challenged as much as the next guy, but every once in a while, you need to be a grown-up about it. Two posts that I ran across on militias: the first, from Ed Brayton, has some wider background, but mostly pointed me toward this one by Todd Heywood, specifically on the views of some members of the SMVM (Southeast Michigan Volunteer Militia) toward gay rights. (And apparently most of them seem to feel this way -- be sure to read the comments on this one.) These guys are much more in the mold of Barry Goldwater than the loons running the Republican party these days, and not at all in league with the religious nuts on the right. It also looks as though the "mainstream" militia members do understand that the founding document of this country is the Constitution, not the Bible.

No, I'm not going to run off to Michigan to join a militia -- there's still a lot I don't agree with them about, but at least it's nice to know they're not all crazy terrorists.

No comments: