"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, June 06, 2010

Change

I haven't written much about the Deepwater Horizon disaster, mostly because it just makes me sick.  The venal carelessness, the pandering to corporate bottom lines, the ineptitude of the efforts to stop the flow, the self-serving PR campaign by BP, the idiocy of the anti-Obama right, and most of all, the sheer devastation of the Gulf Coast, are just beyond my ability to describe.

Rachel Maddow managed, much better than I could:



They key segment is at the end:  if the framework changes, then something's working.  Obama promised change, and the lock-step Republicans, and the corporate shills among the Democrats, have been fighting tooth and nail.

If you want to see how it stacks up against history, check out this graphic at Information is Beautiful.  (Sadly, it's in a format I can't upload here.)

It's not just this, although this is bad enough.  I want to see some changes in DADT -- not a "compromise" that does nothing.  (Joe Sudbay has a scathing post on that one); I want to see some fundamental changes in the way banks to business (read just about anything that Paul Krugman has written recently), and in a lot of other things.

But it seems like no one is listening.

No comments: