"Joy and pleasure are as real as pain and sorrow and one must learn what they have to teach. . . ." -- Sean Russell, from Gatherer of Clouds

"If you're not having fun, you're not doing it right." -- Helyn D. Goldenberg

"I love you and I'm not afraid." -- Evanescence, "My Last Breath"

“If I hear ‘not allowed’ much oftener,” said Sam, “I’m going to get angry.” -- J.R.R. Tolkien, from Lord of the Rings

Sunday, June 27, 2010

The State of the Press

Karoli has an interesting post over at Crooks and Liars that touches on -- you guessed it -- so-called "journalism" in the corporate media. The post is mostly concerned with setting the record straight on the latest compromise on whaling, but this sort of jumped out at me:

The real story is how we're not told the real story

Here are some sample headlines from conservative and liberal sources:

Change.org: Will Obama Sell Out Whales on Earth Day?
Michelle Malkin: Obama Breaks a Whale of a Campaign Promise
CommonDreams.org Obama vs. Whales
Huffington Post: Pro-Whaling Proposal Fails, But Whales Aren't Safe Yet


About the only truly balanced article I could find from a mainstream source is from Al-Jazeera.

Al Jazeera -- the news source that Americans love to hate, probably only because they've been told to, because Al Jazeera's not on "our side" -- which no outlet should be.

And by the way, I comment on the "corporate media" quite a bit, mostly when they've done something scandalous, but I want to point out that operations such as HuffPo, Change.org and their ilk are just as corporate in their outlook, even if they're not completely focused on the bottom line.

You can't read anything without fact-checking these days.


No comments: